Humans love beaches as it is a source of great comfort, happiness, and peace. The same thing goes for dogs too. Dogs love beaches just like humans. Sadly, there are not many beaches that allow dogs to come and play. However, Illinois has various beaches that are dog friendly. Usually, beaches do not allow dogs to enter the beach. It is because of numerous health and hygiene reasons. Dog-friendly beaches administration makes extra efforts to make everything comfortable for pups and dog owners.
We will share dog-friendly beaches with you in Illinois. Most dog beaches allow dogs on leashes. However, we have some options for you. Where your dog can play without a leash. Other than that, we will mention other things about these beaches. These all are vital when you are visiting a beach with your dog.
Keep reading this article to know the restrictions and perks of visiting dog friendly beaches in Illinois. Every beach has its regulation, do not forget to read this article till the very end.
List of Best Dog Friendly Beaches Illinois IL
Montrose Dog Beach
|Address||610 West Lawrence Avenue Chicago IL|
|Parking Fee||2 – 30 USD|
|Timings||06:00 AM to 11:00 PM (Year)|
Montrose Dog Beach is the first Chicago beach that legally allows dogs and dog owners to play at the beach. You will be glad to know that there are many dogs on this beach and your dog will surely make one or two good friends at this beach. This dog-friendly beach is usually packed with people. Moreover, the beach is overcrowded during the morning time. People usually visit this beach in the morning with their adorable pups. Your dog can run on the beach, play in the water, and befriend other dogs.
This pet-friendly beach is clean and safe it’s because of various reasons. One of the reasons is that this beach emphasizes dog owners clean after their dogs. A dog must be healthy and fully immunized. Your dog should be vaccinated as well. This way will be little to no spread of diseases because of your dog.
- This dog-friendly beach has various dog poop bags. You can also wash and give a bath to your dog in specific dog wash areas.
- Montrose Dog Beach is open for dogs during the regular district hours of Chicago. However, during the morning, this park is fully packed. An experienced veterinary issues this tag for all the dogs.
- The parking fee depends on the hours you spend on this dog-friendly beach. For one to two hours the parking cost is only 2 USD. However, when the time exceeds more than 12 hours to 24 hours. The fee for parking eventually increases.
- This dog beach is free for everyone. However, you have to pay at least 10 USD for your dogs. They provide a tag for your dog, thus ensuring the safety of everyone on the beach. These tags are essential for all the dogs visiting this dog-friendly beach.
- Montrose Dog Beach has fences and a closed area. It makes your dog roam freely, safely, and securely.
- This beach is big enough to hold numerous people. Even when the beach is full of people, your dog can find a spot to run and play with you. Moreover, sometimes people mistreat various breeds such as Pitbull, Doberman pinscher, mastiff, and many more dog breeds. They usually do this because of old school stigma attached to these breeds.
Belmont Harbor Beach
|Address||Belmont & Lake Shore Drive Chicago, IL 60614|
|Leash Requirement||Off-Leash and On-Leash|
|Parking Fee||10 USD (Sunday Only)|
|Timings||24 Hours Open|
This dog beach does not have a large area. It is relatively smaller than other dog-friendly beaches. That’s why these beaches can get crowded sometimes. However, this beach is suitable for small dogs and pups. Sometimes people leave their big and sturdy dogs off-leash. It might scare your dog to a great extent.
In the early morning, the beach is at its perfect waves. In short, the whole scenery is therapeutic. Moreover, there are not many people on the Belmont Harbor Beach during day time. It’s compulsory to put your dog on a leash the whole time. If authorities notice anyone breaking the rule, you can sadly get a ticket. That’s why most people don’t consider this beach a dog-friendly beach. However, there are various other factors that make this beach awesome.
This dog-friendly beach is swim-friendly for all pups. The area of the park is relatively clean. There are numerous poop bags, washed bags, and trashcans to throw away the waste. Belmont Harbor Beach is super clean.
- The parking cost is 10 USD only on Sunday. Meanwhile, on other days from Monday to Saturday, it is free to visit this dog-friendly beach.
- A genuine issue is that there is no sign, indication, or anything helpful in getting to this beach. While searching for this beach, you might ask local people about this. They might misguide you to the Montrose Dog Beach. This whole situation can be a bit troublesome and distressing. To avoid it, you must learn the entire route of this beach.
- The water on this beach is not clean. You should avoid drinking beach water no matter what. Bring fresh, pure, and clean water from your home. There is little to no shade on this dog beach. Thus the chances of being dehydrated maximize, take care of your dog and bring water. Bringing an umbrella can also be a good idea to save yourself from the sun.
- The visitors, dog owners, and dogs are nice to each other. The whole environment on this beach is perfection. Since it’s a small beach, people usually talk with other dog owners. Moreover, it is a perfect interaction between dogs and dog owners.
North Marcum Beach Chicago IL
|Address||Rend Lake, Benton, IL 62812, United States|
|Parking||Limited and Narrow|
|Timings||08:00 AM to 10:00 PM|
North Marcum Beach pet-friendly dog beach is a place where boats dock commonly. You can use a ship along with your adorable pet. There is no need to hassle about anything.
Usually, during weekends and summer, this place is crowded. However, the beach welcomes everyone, and everyone enjoys the time spent here. There are two big shelters on this beach. You can roast snacks, eat food, and drink what you want in those shelters. Moreover, there are various sitting arrangements for people at the beach. Almost 70 to 80 persons can enjoy under this shelter. In short, this place is a great picnic spot for dogs and dog parents.
This beach is clean, and there are plenty of benches where anyone can sit. People often love to go camping at North Marcum Beach. Camping at this dog-friendly beach is an incredible experience for most people.
- There are various resorts around this beach. You can spend your time there as well. There are numerous sports that you can play with your dog. They offer diverse indoor and outdoor sports, such as golf and tennis.
- There are usually many people on this beach. The beautiful scenery attracts various tourists, dog lovers, and residents. That’s why this beach is often full of people on weekends. However, during other times of the year. You will see the beach does not have too many people.
- This beach is sandy, and as you know, your dog can get dirty. As a result, your dog can ruin your car because of this. To solve this issue, North Marcum Beach has a shower. You can wash your dog and make them clean before taking them to the car. In this way, the car won’t get dirty, and you won’t have any issues regarding this. There are shelters too, and you can book them in advance. It will save you a lot of inconveniences.
|Address||5200 N. Lake Shore Dr., Chicago, IL 60611|
|Parking Fee||Free as well Paid Option also available|
|Timings||06:00 AM to 11:00 PM|
Foster Avenue Dog Beach is in Chicago, and it is not a huge dog beach. It is a small yet pleasant dog beach. You and your dog will love the magnificent scenery of this beach.
Not many people know about this dog-friendly beach. Thus, this beach does not have many people. Dog parents love this place so much. This beach is clean, and even tourists are mindful of their dogs, making the area dirty. They clean it frequently due to the cleanliness of Foster Avenue Dog Beach is not disturbed.
- Regular district hours of Chicago are from 6 AM to 11 PM. During afternoons this beach can attract an extra crowd. Thus, the best time to visit this dog beach is morning. You will be able to enjoy sunrise and beautiful nature.
- This dog beach has a DIY dog wash. You can use this for your dog. If your dog gets too dirty and you can not take the risk of messing with the car. Then wash your dog with it, and you are ready to go.
- At most dog beaches, pet parents do not pay much attention to their pets. They usually leave their pets, and they become a nuisance. However, at Foster Avenue, Dog Beach dog parents are attentive to how their dog behaves, and the chances of a fight are less.
Gillson Dog Beach Illinois
|Address||Wilmette, IL 60091, United States|
|Parking||Parking pass needed|
|Timings||August 9, 2021- June 12, 2022|
6 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
June 13 – August 5, 2022
6-9:30 a.m. & 2:30-10:30 p.m.
August 6, 2022- June 11, 2023
6 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
It is a dog friendly beach where you can play in the water with your dogs. This beach is spacious, and your dog will get plenty of exercises while being in the park. Most of all, your dog will love playing with other pets at the beach. This dog beach is big and spacious. Most of the time, it’s a crowded place.
A large number of people visit this park on a daily basis. The atmosphere of this park is lovely and everyone, including pets and pet parents, loves it so much.
- The park is closed for two days only. These two days are the 3rd and 4th of July.
- Service dogs are not allowed at this dog beach.
- For swimming, you have to pay extra money. Usually, swimming charges are between 10 USD to 20 USD.
- To get entry to the beach with your pup, you need to buy a tag for your dog. The prices are different for residents and tourists. For residents, the price is as low as 25 USD. However, for non-residents, the prices spike up to 150 USD. Avoid getting scammed and buy the tag from the exact location. You can get dog tags from Wilmette Village Hall.
- Are you looking for a place to relax with your pup. Then this is a perfect place. There are various picnic tables, grass, and bathrooms. You can spend your time here without any worry.
- The fencing of this dog beach is very poor. It might worry some of the dog owners.
Points to Remember
While visiting these places you need many other extraordinary things. To make your visit worry-free and more enjoyable bring these things with you. Some items are essential for safety, and some are on this list to make your taste buds happy.
- Snacks: snacks for your pup and yourself too. Make sure to pack them along with the lovely visit to these beaches. You can view our dog food guide, which shares the best dog food recipes. Moreover, it also gives better knowledge to dog owners about what they should and should not feed their dogs.
- Sunblock: whenever you visit a beach, your skin can get severely damaged because of the rays of the sun. Thus, make sure to bring a strong sunblock with you.
- Water and hydrating drinks: due to the constant attack of the sun, your body can face a deficiency of water. Keep yourself and your dog hydrated so you can enjoy your journey.
- Tick and flea dog collars: ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas are common at beaches. However, do you know that your pup can get various diseases because of these insects?. Read our article best tick and flea dog collars to save your dog from their attack.
- Camera: save all the memorable events with your dog. Capture them in a camera and try to cherish every moment with them. Take them to beaches, make snacks with your pup, and watch movies with them. Check our article about dog movie reviews to watch this movie after beach night with your dog.
- GPS dog collar: some dogs are energy packets, and it’s hard to handle them. In crowded places, your dog can even get lost sometimes. You should read our article about the best GPS dog collars and keep your beloved dog safe from getting lost at a pet-friendly beach.
These are some of the best dog beaches in Illinois. If you are contemplating doing outdoor activities with your dog, beaches are the best place to go. Your dog will love visiting these places. However, if your dog has hydrophobia, don’t hesitate to consult a vet. Otherwise, make sure to do all the packing for this trip. Must check our article to know the essentials of going to a beach with your pup. Make this entire visit a beautiful memory for your dog and yourself.
Taking dogs on various tours and trips is a healthy activity. Pet parents should definitely do this on and on. However, there is always a risk of infection because of ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes. Your dog can suffer severely because of these issues. However, you can protect your dog from these insects. You can use tick and flea collars. Check our article tick and flea dog collar. You will know more about how to kill ticks and fleas. Make your journey safe and healthy.